Thursday, December 15, 2016

Delay Fish

Anybody else here a huge Finding Nemo fan?  I love that movie to bits and pieces and thus have nearly every line memorized.  I've decided this whole adoption thing reminds me in particular of this line between Marlin, Nemo's dad, and Dory as they are out searching for Nemo.

Marlin: "I can't afford any more delays and you're one of those fish that causes delays. Sometimes it's a good thing. There's a whole group of fish . They're delay fish."

WE are decidedly delay fish.  This process has been wrought with nothing but delay after stupid delay.  Homestudy?  Took 10 weeks instead of 10 days.  Delayed.  Submission?  Took two months instead of two weeks.  Delayed.  Last trip?  Sudden change in tax laws.  Delayed.  Coming home?  Yep, you guessed it...

DELAYED!!!

Brent told me this morning that, due to Scrooge McGrinchy Pants at the passport office, Aeson's passport, in addition to being misspelled, will not be ready until Tuesday.  Which means the final embassy appointment isn't until Wednesday.  They will try to fly out Thursday but odds of getting three plane tickets booked 12 hours prior to wanting to fly are slim.  This means most likely they will be flying out Friday - THE DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS WEEKEND WHEN EVERYONE ON THE ENTIRE PLANET WILL ALSO BE TRAVELING!  So, hopefully there will be plane tickets to be had Friday; otherwise their trip home will again be - say it with me now - DELAYED!!!

I promise I really am trying to put on my big girl panties, say, it is what it is, and soldier on.  But I am so over all the stinking delays!  And I'm not even the one stuck in a tiny apartment with a broken tv in wintry Kiev!  I just want my family home, all together, on Christmas, which, at this point, may or may not happen.  Is that really too much to ask, Ukraine???

On the plus side (there's always a plus side), Aeson has done SO well.  He has slept through the night, gotten himself up and put himself back to bed, eaten everything put in front of him and had no major meltdowns.  He has a giant smile on his face in every photo and video Brent sends me.  What an amazingly resilient kid!  And no, the irony that I just had a virtual hissy fit from my own comfy chair in a familiar environment while my son, who was just ripped from everything he knows, acts like this is just another day did not escape my notice.

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.  And I'll keep posting incredibly cute pictures of this fantastic kid who makes all the delays worth it.




2 comments:

  1. Oh...how this post brings back memories of last year when I was sitting in wintery Kiev with four bored little boys and a broken TV, waiting, waiting...praying and crying about my longing to be home for Christmas! It is so hard!!! But you know what? We made it home at 10:30 on Christmas day. What I thought was impossible (getting the visa completed on Christmas Eve when the embassy was only open for half a day and finding affordable plane tickets for five of us on such short notice!) ended up being not-so-impossible for God! Praise Him for Aeson's positive response to all this newness! What a blessing! (Toby was pulling out his new brother's hair and screaming and awake at all hours of the night....ugh....) Praying for all of you! You are in the home stretch! And by the looks of it, maybe the transition to home life in the U.S. won't be such a huge issue for sweet Aeson! Oh, by the way! I showed Toby your Gotcha Day posts and he said in the sweetest voice, "Ahhh...yes....now Nazar has a family! Oh Thank you family...thank you for giving Nazar a family!" (He wants to send Aeson a gift, so if you have a chance to email me your mailing address, we'd love to do that. No rush...you have enough on your plate! kkerger@aol.com) Hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of prayers!!! Please keep us all posted! God bless~

    ReplyDelete